Wednesday, June 1, 2011

#GoogleMusicBeta and #iTunes playlists

When I initially installed, due to an installation bug, I was unable to choose a custom folder from which to upload. I chose iTunes Library for the purposes of installation, and after the installation was complete, I went back and chose custom folders. After an hour or so, I decided to go switch back to iTunes for the first upload pass because, although my music collection exists inside and outside of iTunes, I wanted to import my iTunes playlists. After about a week of uploading, and within the last 1,300 files in my iTunes library, I've noticed something a little annoying. I'm missing all of the playlists that I actually cared to have imported.
There are a small number of playlists imported. Mostly "On The Go" playlists, a couple of lists that I created for the purpose of burning CDs, and the "Party Shuffle" list. I've spent alot of time building custom rules for smart playlists based on ratings, others based on genre, and others based on custom details, and all of these lists are quite large.
There are other static playlists that I've created that are not quite so large, but they are missing.
Initially I thought that maybe Google Music couldn't import smart playlists, but that idea was proven wrong by the fact that I do have the Party Shuffle smart playlist. I then thought that maybe size was an issue, and Google Music couldn't import playlists beyond a certain size, but I believe that is proven wrong by a handful of small playlists that didn't get imported.
I don't really have the time or interest do really investigate why some playlists got imported while others got left behind. All I know is that the playlists that I really actually use did not show up.
Another point for AudioGalaxy. AudioGalaxy has given me full and complete access to all of my iTunes playlists while on the go, and without the need to sync anything.
In the end, it probably won't matter. Android, in general, is giving me a way to get away from iTunes while building a media collection that is portable across nearly any device, which means I'm working towards a world without iTunes, and likely works in a manner different from iTunes. Any iTunes integration is just a shim that keeps me in touch while the transition is taking place, but it's a feature that is a "nice to have" while making that transition.

Time to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment