Sunday, July 3, 2011

Kirkland

<p>So, we've finally moved. There is a whole adventure there that I'll talk about another time, but for now, I'm just trying to decompress. I'm out on the deck, having a glass or three of chianti, and just drinking it all in, and I'm struck by something. Back home the norm is to work to have the perfectly manicured yard. Time and money is spent on having the perfect shape around the shrubs, money is spent on consultants to choose the perfect shrubs in the first place. All of this to impress the neighbors, and show that you have the best lot in the neighborhood. Of course in utah you have to have automatic sprinklers because it's hot enough to kill the lawn and shrubs in a couple of days, so I can't really complain about that. Anyway, I'm looking out across my yard, and the little bit of those yards around me that I'm actually able to see, and I'm struck by the difference in realities. Nature is in control here. Sure, lawns are cut and watered, gardens produce some food, but give it a month with out fighting the over growth, and nature would take over. People seem to accept that. They accept that they are here for a short time, but everything around them was here before them, will be here long after them, and if nature became sentient and decided to take over, it would simply eliminate them. This place is alive, and in balance. I come from a desert, a place that you have to fight just to keep the lawn alive. Here, you have to fight to keep green things from taking over. I dunno. The reality of this place is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment